Uganda Habituated Mountain Gorilla Families-Bwindi Forest, Uganda has 15 habituated gorilla families/groups that are open for tourism, Uganda has two National park where one can trek mountain gorillas, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park has one habituated gorilla family and famous Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park has 15 habituated gorilla families/groups which is the highest in the world, it should be noted that bwindi forest is a home to more than half of world population of mountain gorillas, bwindi forest alone accommodated over 500 mountain gorillas and the total number of the mountain gorillas is currently at about 900 gorillas combined from all countries that has gorillas, Kisoro Tours we will help you to organize gorilla safari so get a chance to trek one of Uganda Habituated Mountain Gorilla Families-Bwindi Forest
Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Forest of Uganda?
In bwindi impenetrable forest there are more two gorilla families/groups that are under habituation, Uganda is also the only country that offers gorilla habituation experience that gives tourist a chance to spend a full day with mountain gorillas, this active of gorilla habituation experience is done in Rushaga sector and Nkuringo sector which is the southern area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, only 4 tourist/ visitors are allowed to take in mountain gorilla habituation experience daily, a tourist/visitor who goes for gorilla habituation experience goes with researchers, trekkers and park rangers, during visitors spend whole day learning gorilla behaviors and they day to activities. Uganda gorilla trekking and gorilla habituation experience take place daily.
Uganda Habituated Mountain Gorilla Families-Bwindi Forest, below are the names of Uganda habituated gorilla families in bwindi impenetrable forest national park and in mgahinga gorilla national park.
Uganda Habituated Mountain Gorilla Families
- Mishaya Gorilla Family/Group: is found in rushaga sector of bwindi forest, Mishaya has 12 members in the family including one silverback who is the head of the family
- Kahungye Gorilla Family/Group: This family is also located in Rushaga gorilla trekking sector and it has 17 family members, this group is one of interesting because it has 3 silver back in one family
- Busingye Gorilla Family/Group: This is one of the small gorillas family with only 9 family members, Busingye splinted from Kahungye family that’s why it is still has few family members, Busingye is also found in Rushage sector.
- Bweza Gorilla Family/Group: Bweza Gorilla group is found in Rushaga sector, Bweza also has 12 family member with 2 silverbacks
- Mubale Gorilla Family/Group (also known as M-Gorilla Family/Group) Mubare gorilla group is very famous and well known to many because was the first habituated gorilla family in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Mubare family is located in Buhoma sector which also serves as headquarters for bwindi forest
- Habinyanja Gorilla Family/Group. This gorilla group is one of the first gorilla family to be habituated in the Buhoma sector of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Habinyanja gorilla family has 17 members with 2 sliver backs.
- Rushegura Gorilla Family/Group. Rushegura family is also found in buhoma sector of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Rushegura gorilla group has 16 members with one silver back
- Oruzogo Gorilla Family/Group. Oruzogo is located in Ruhija gorilla trekking sector of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National park. Oruzogo gorilla family has 17 gorilla family members.
- Bitukura Gorilla Family/Group. Bitukura group is also found in Ruhija gorilla trekking sector which is part of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Bitukura gorilla group has 14 gorilla family members including 4 silverback. Bitikura gorilla family is very interesting group if you are trekking in Ruhija area look out for bitukura because it has more sliver backs.
- Kyaguliro (A) Gorilla Family/Group. Kyaguliro group was one of the first gorilla groups to be habituated in Ruhija sector and Kyaguliro gorilla family was the biggest gorilla group in ruhija gorilla trekking area with 20 members before it split.
- Kyaguliro (B) Gorilla Family/Group also known as Mukiza, this gorilla group splited from the original Kyaguliro gorilla family which is now called Kyaguliro (A),it has 10 members with one sliver back
- Nshongi Gorilla Family/Group, Nshongi gorilla group is found in Rushaga gorilla trekking area/ sector, Nshongi gorilla family has 7 member with one sliver back, it was big gorilla family with 18 member
- Mishaya Gorilla Family/Group. Mishaya is located in Rushaga gorilla trekking area sector of bwindi impenetrable forest national park
- Nkuringo Gorilla Family/Group. This gorilla group is found in Nkuringo gorilla trekking area/sector Nkuringo gorilla group has 12 member and it is known as one gorilla family that is had to trek but it depends on the luck of the day and the movement of the gorillas on the day you are trekking
15. Nyakagezi Gorilla Family/Group. Nyakagezi family is located in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Nyakagezi gorilla family is the only habituated gorilla family in this park, Nyakagezi gorilla family has 10 family members. As you may not be aware Uganda has two national parks where you can trek gorillas, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
Uganda Habituated Mountain Gorilla Families-Bwindi Forest